First Pickup

I mentioned in the post on Inklings that I was starting to learn pickup techniques. Well, here's my first try at it:

The colors came out maybe a little more Andes Candies than I meant, but I like them.

This is horizontal stripe pickup weaving, which uses two or more colors of thread of the same weight, where spotted and speckled types use two weights. I definitely had colors that went well together like this, so off I went.

I found Heather Heroldt’s site and downloaded her Beginning Alternating Pickup for Inkle, which can be downloaded from that page, as can a Beginning Inkle text. It had several patterns I thought would look nice. I wound a long warp, with the tensioning flap much farther out than last time.

The pickup part was quite easy, but I had two major problems. The first was that the yarn I was using was heavy enough that the 60 warps I needed for the patterns were coming off the pegs and the tension flap when I advanced. The second problem was that the slack in the warp got used up even more quickly than the last time, despite me carefully adding more to the flap. I was only able to use about a third of the warp, which upsets me because there’s not really anything else I can use it for, so it’s a lot of waste.

But the final result came out nicely, what there was of it. I’m sure I’ll find a use for it at some point.

The very first band is now a rather pretty headband.